Sunday, March 25, 2007

And Yet We Continue...

We are nearing the end of the paperwork process. I am optimistic that we will have everything completed by end of April. We no longer have to worry about the various licenses being valid for six months after submission to the SDA. The medical certificates will be updated next week. I think, based on what I've heard, that we will have our I171H back in mid-April. It looks like it is all coming together.

Unfortunately, there are some possible changes coming for Ukrainian adoptions. UA is considering closing off adoptions to single parents (this breaks my heart for those that have been waiting for so long), and limiting the age spread between adopting parents and adoptees to 45 years. As it stands, it would apply to the oldest parent. We'll see what actually happens long term, and we are adapting our plan to work with the worst case scenario (not that we couldn't and wouldn't love an older child then we initially planned to adopt as much as a younger child).

More to follow.


Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Still doing the paperwork chase

We are updating our medical tests for the medical certificate portion of the dossier. We are getting fingerprinted on March 30. Drew is updating his employment letter so that the date on it is more current. I am sending the State of Florida Criminal History form back in to be more current. Our home study agency's license isn't renewed until mid-May and expires at the end of June. I have to get a letter from the state licensing department about this as nothing can expire in less then 6 months at the time our dossier is submitted to the SDA in Ukraine. Blah, blah, on and on. But I feel I have a handle on all of this, and it will come to be in another month.

I have learned about "expedited fees" in Ukraine, and am learning about medical and psychological issues that could surface with a child we adopt. We'll also have to learn a little Russian so that we can at least communicate with our children.

We purchased a twin bed for our future child yesterday. I'll let them pick out the sheet set they want after they come home.

There isn't too much more to report on this front. We are hoping and hoping that we will not have to travel in the dead of winter, or even worse, just before everything in UA shuts down for the Christmas and New Years holidays. Rita